Canada's Federal Skilled Worker Program


The government of Canada has as one of its main objectives for immigration to build and strengthen the economy through the acceptance of permanent residents. As a member of the Federal Skilled Worker program, you may become a permanent resident if you can enter the labour market and be self-supporting when you arrive in Canada. Speaking with an immigration consultant at Humana Immigration Consulting to determine your eligibility as for the skilled worker program can be your best choice!

What are the requirements to be a Federal Skilled Worker?

The minimum requirements to immigrate to Canada under the Federal Skilled Worker program are as follows:

  • Work Experience: You have 1 year of continuous full-time experience or its equivalent in part-time work, in the last 10 years, working as a middle to senior manager or legislator.
  • Language Test: You can provide the results of a language test, taken within the last 2 years, showing that you meet or exceed language skill level 7 in reading, writing, listening and speaking
  • Education: You have provided either your foreign education credential or an equivalent assessment occurring in the last 5 years.

If you meet these criteria, your application is then assessed under the following categories: your age, education, work experience, having a valid job offer, skill with English or French, and adaptability (or your ability to settle in Canada). These factors are scored on a 100 point scale.

You must also show that you have enough money to support yourself and your family unless you have a valid offer from an employer.

A licensed immigration consultant can evaluate your application to determine if you can surpass minimum requirements for permanent residence under the program for Federal Skilled Workers.

How are points scored for this program?

You need to score at least 67 points out of 100 to meet the selection criteria for the Federal Skilled Worker Class. The 5 criteria that make up the points are as follows:

  • Education: you are eligible for 25 points ranging from 5 points for having a high school diploma up to 25 points for being a doctor.
  • English and French:you can get up to 24 points for your first official language and 4 points for your second language
  • Experience: You can get up to 15 points for your work experience ranging from 9 points for having 1 year of experience to 15 points for having 6 years or more.
  • Age: You are eligible for up to 12 points based on your age ranging from 1 point if you are 46 years old to 12 points if you are between 18 and 35.
  • Adaptability: You can get up to a maximum of 10 points for any previous full-time work experience in middle to senior management under a work permit for at least 1 year in Canada; and you may also get 5 points for any of the following: full-time study in Canada; full-time work under a work permit in Canada; having an accompanying spouse or common-law partner who is related to a someone living in Canada.
  • Arranged Employment: You are eligible for up to 10 points if you were offered a job from a Canadian employer lasting at least 1 year, before you arrive in Canada.

The licensed immigration consultants at Humana Immigration Consulting can help you to evaluate your likelihood of success under this class for federal skilled workers.

What is meant by skilled work experience?

To have skilled work experience, you should have experience, as defined by NOC (National Occupational Classification) in the following jobs categories: management jobs (skill 0), professional jobs (skill A) or technical job and skilled trades (or skill B). For example, a computer and information systems manager would be classed as NOC 0213 indicating that the first digit is a managerial role because is it a zero. Because the second digit is a two, the code informs us that the position requires college or vocational education.

Your immigration consultant can determine whether your experiences meet the requirements of the job that you intend to apply for.

Skill type 0, A, and B

Skill LevelNumber 0-7Education or Training Required
0The job requires experience in middle to senior management. These jobs occur in skill A and B below:
A0 or 1The job requires a university degree at the bachelor’s, master’s or doctorate level.
B2 or 3 The job requires: (1) 2 to 3 years of post-secondary education at a community college, institute of technology or an apprenticeship lasting from 2 to 5 years; or, you have 3 to 4 years of secondary school and more than 2 years of on-the-job training, training courses or work experience.

How much money will I need?

You need to bring enough money to care for yourself, your spouse or their child. The minimum amount that you need to immigrate to Canada is as follows:
Number of People in Your FamilyMoney Required in Canadian Dollars
Add this amount for each additional family member.$3,414

Your immigration consultant can help you to determine if you have sufficient money to apply for permanent residence through Express Entry under the Federal Skilled Worker Program.

Request a Free Immigration Consultation!